Home / Albums / BR Diesel Locomotives / Class 24 
The British Rail Class 24 diesel locomotives, also known as the Sulzer Type 2, were built from 1958 to 1961. One hundred and fifty-one of these locomotives were built at Derby, Crewe and Darlington, the first twenty of them as part of the British Rail 1955 Modernisation Plan. This class was used as the basis for the development of the Class 25 locomotives.
The final survivor, no. 24081, was withdrawn from Crewe depot in 1980.